Decking tiles are a great option for anyone who wants to create a deck without going through the hassle of building one from scratch. They are versatile, easy to install, and can be used in a variety of outdoor spaces. In this blog, we will discuss the different types of decking tiles, how to prepare the ground for laying them, and how to lay decking tiles. We will also provide information on how to lay 4Everdeck decking tiles, a popular option for composite decking.
Types of Decking Tiles
Decking tiles come in various materials, shapes, and sizes, including wood, composite, plastic, and rubber. The most common types are wood and composite decking tiles. Wood decking tiles are made from different types of wood, including teak, acacia, and cedar, and are available in different finishes, such as natural, stained, and painted. Composite decking tiles are made from a mixture of wood fibers and recycled plastic and are available in a variety of colors and finishes.
How to Prepare the Ground for Laying Decking Tiles
Before laying decking tiles, it is important to prepare the ground properly. Here are the steps to follow:
- Clear the area: Remove any debris, plants, or rocks from the area where you want to lay the tiles.
- Level the ground: Use a rake to level the ground, removing any bumps or unevenness. If the ground is too uneven, consider using a concrete base to create a level surface.
- Lay a weed barrier: To prevent weeds from growing through the tiles, lay a weed barrier, such as landscape fabric or a plastic sheet, on top of the ground.
- Add a layer of gravel: To improve drainage and provide a stable base for the tiles, optionally add a layer of gravel or crushed stone on top of the weed barrier. Spread it evenly and compact it with a tamper or a plate compactor.
How to Lay Decking Tiles
Once the ground is prepared, you can start laying the decking tiles. Here are the steps to follow:
- Lay the first tile: Start at one corner of the area and lay the first tile, making sure it is level and flush with the edge of the area.
- Add more tiles: Add more tiles, interlocking them together as you go. Make sure they are level and flush with each other.
- Cut tiles to fit: If you need to cut tiles to fit around obstacles, such as posts or trees, use a handsaw or a jigsaw.
- Finish the edges: To finish the edges of the area, use special edging tiles or cut tiles to size.
- Add finishing touches: Once all the tiles are laid, add finishing touches, such as sealant or oil, to protect and enhance the tiles.
How to Lay 4Everdeck Decking Tiles
4Everdeck decking tiles are a popular option for DIY. They are meant for existing solid surfaces Here’s how to lay them:
- Measure the area: Determine the dimensions of the area you want to cover and calculate the number of composite decking tiles required. Each tile measures 300mm by 300mm, and you’ll need 11 tiles to cover a square meter.
- Lay the first tile: Begin installing the tiles from one corner of the designated area. Position the first tile and connect the next tile by pressing it down to engage the unique connecting tabs on the sides of each tile. Keep adding tiles in this manner until the entire area is covered, ensuring that all tiles are securely locked in place with their adjacent tiles.
- Cut tiles to fit: If you need to cut tiles to fit around obstacles, use a handsaw or a jigsaw.
How to Securely Lay Your Decking Tiles
In conclusion, decking tiles are an easy and convenient way to create a deck in your outdoor space. Whether you prefer the natural look of wood or the durability of composite materials, there are many options available to suit your needs. With proper ground preparation and careful installation, you can have a beautiful and functional deck in no time. And with 4Everdeck decking tiles, the installation process is even easier, making it possible for anyone to create a deck without the need for tools or professional assistance.
Browse our full range of 4Everdeck composite decking tiles here.